Dark Matter RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Matter Role Play Forums

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to Dark Matter RP Forums! [Most recent update: 6/26/14]

What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
killzone1902
VIP

What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) Empty
PostSubject: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 4:25 am

Ok the sever rule state "We do tolerate foul language...to an extent. We do NOT "tolerate bullying/racism/sexism/etc..."
this seems quite vague. As most know a frequent homophobic slur is used all over the internet it my be gay/fag/quire or something to that like. i know this i also know that nothing can be done about it as it is the internet these things happen but to those who are homosexual this is bullying. Also the case a word most have stopped using is retard or retarded do it being extremely rude. now to the point i was playing on the sever,admins were on (hieu and OnEsHoT) and a player whom i will leave unnamed (admins know who he is) who i raided this made him mad so he broke NLR among other things in game, saying the sever sucked and calling me something i find outright  deplorable a "autistic fag" this stung in both respects.  This is when he was muted... but soon unmuted after that i mugged him he hit me i killed him and hieu came and tp'ed to him then the sever crashed  soon after

the point of this topic is to find out when it becomes more than just foul language and turns into bullying and racism
Back to top Go down
Haides
Founder
Haides

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 6:18 am

I'm bisexual and I take no offense to the word faggot or anything of the sort unless someone's using it in a serious context.
Now on the retardation side It doesn't offend me but at the same time you rarely see someone being called a retard in a non-serious context.
Back to top Go down
Bigrigmonty
Super Admin
Bigrigmonty

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

Killzone I could see why this would offend, but People will people and when someone is bullying you it is a good thing to remember that most people who go out of there way to offend people in this way are just 11 to 16 year-olds who dont know how this affect people. To stop them it would be a good idea to inform them about your feelings and how it is affecting you. If this does not work, just simply ignore them since there is a mute button.
Back to top Go down
killzone1902
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 am

this is... true thank both of you.
Back to top Go down
mimcczr1
Head Admin
mimcczr1

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 am

I think some of what Bigrigmonty is saying is true, but sometimes passive-aggression can be a hindrance.

People can be angry, especially in Gmod, which is why I think some foul language should be tolerated. Plus, the server has quite a mixed age group, (anywhere from less than 10 over 20) so I think it would be unfair to punish people who swear.

I myself swear very regularly, although this is less to do with anger and more to do with my upbringing, where swearing has been tolerated and can even make a conversation or sentence flow more smoothly.

When it comes to insults, it usually ends up being that if it persists for a while or if the person being abused is offended, I cut off the abuser's ability to offend, usually through a short gag / mute. This usually occurs from a raid where the abuser ends up being very pissed off, which is understandable, hence why I gag / mute temporarily to allow them to cool off without offending anyone or ruining anyone's RP experience (through an argument in OOC, or in some other way).

That doesn't cover things like direct or extreme cases of racism, although for cases like these it has resulted in a ban in the past (temporary or otherwise, mostly depending on how active the abuser is and whether it has happened before or not), but it should hopefully clear up any confusion in the rules.

Side note: This is my personal opinion and not the opinion of the rest of the staff, and should not be taken as such.
Back to top Go down
killzone1902
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 8:37 am

this has helped me see the other side a good deal as well thanks
Back to top Go down
killzone1902
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 am

Requestclose
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)   What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What to Call Abuse? (when the rules fade)
Page 1 of 1